Well you still will get your electricity service from the same pole and wires company as always which might be BG&E, Pepco, Comed and others.
When you choose to go with an alternate Pennsylvania or Maryland electricity company that is not your utility pole and wire company nothing changes regarding delivery of service and how outages are handled.
You still call your utility company you have always used when outages occur and they are the responsible party for getting service restored.
Energy Plus sells retail electricity service sells electric rate plans that compete against Pepco electric company and ComEd in both MD and PA.
We mention Energy Plus because they have a very large direct mail campaign and you have likely seen advertisements offering competitive electric rates as compared to ComEd and perhaps Pepco.
When comparing these prices between Energy Plus vs Pepco I recommend calling both companies. Ask specific questions I outlined below to assist in making an accurate comparison so you can make a clear confident decision.
- Ask them if their electric rate is a variable rate that changes after the first month.
- Ask to see if the rate is only competitive the first month and what happens on the subsequent 2nd month of service to the price.
- Check for historical information on what their variable price has done the last several months in Pennsylvania and Maryland.
- Decide if their rate plan is a teaser price that is competitive only for the 1st month.
- Ask them if their electric rate is fixed or variable.
- Ask if their variable rate goes up on the 2nd month or if it has ever gone down in price after the 1st month of service.
- Check if their variable rate is a teaser price that is substantially lower to hook you in.
- See if their variable electricity rate follows a fuel commodity market or goes up and down related to other factors.
Once you have asked these questions you will likely have a better idea of which electric company has the better rate plan. You can make a clearer more consumer informed decision when asking point blank questions to make that Energy Plus vs Pepco comparison.
If you would like a more thorough comparison of PA or MD electricity rates that include multiple electricity suppliers please fill in your name and email in the box at the top right.