As electric choice competition has spread in Pennsylvania we see new electric suppliers defining themselves as leaders among some familiar brands.
Most of us have heard of PECO and Penelec but how many of you have heard of MXEnergy, Champion Energy, and Gateway?
MXEnergy will soon be bought and merged with Constellation NewEnergy which is one of the largest electric companies in the US. Champion Energy and Gateway are smaller providers but still formidable and reputable suppliers many commercial and industrial companies have chosen to do business with.
These companies are all aggressively advertising in PA and are convincing people to switch away from PECO and Penelec and on over to their electric company.
Some of the electricity suppliers that are offering electric service that came in from another state are using some gorilla sales tactics to accomplish this task.
You may find yourself having your door knocked on in the middle of the day by one of the the alternate electric companies in Pennsylvania trying to snatch you away from the big brand energy companies.
There are some important things to consider before you switch providers in regards to the sales tactics they might use.
Door to Door Electricity Sales Tactics
- The salesmen may refer to themselves as having been sent from PPL or Penelec.
- The company may mention a notice through the mail that you might have received letting you know they were coming.
- The company may guarantee that the electricity price would be lower when this might only be the case the first month.
- The sales guy helps to confuse you as to if you will be switching electric companies.
- They may make it seem that you are only changing your rate plan as your bill will still be coming from Penelec or PPL.
Do not fall for any of these slight of hand tricks as you most definitely will be switching away to a new PA electricity company. There are in fact ongoing lawsuits regarding this type of door to door scheme by some of the alternate electric companies in PA.
Switching to a new low PA electricity price is a good thing to do if it will save you money but no one wants to be lied to about it. Chances are that if a sales guy is lying to you about who they are the price may not actually save you money, as what keeps them from telling the truth about that?
We are not saying that all electric companies that knock on your door are bad it just pays to know a few things that have been happening in advance so you do not fall for the same tricks.